Vice President Biology/Translational Research
Reporting to the Head of Research, the Vice President, Biology/Translational Research will be responsible for the management and operational execution of biology focused research activities for Lengo’s oncology-focused pipeline. This position will require a seasoned leader with the breadth of experience to contribute to multiple drug development programs and enable the identification of additional targets for drug discovery in order to build out the pipeline.
The successful candidate will provide strategic direction, vision, program leadership, and tactical support to the Company in disease area foci and product candidate selection. As such, this executive should be an expert in the cancer pathway biology and must be extremely creative, hands-on, and able to work independently in a virtual environment.
Job Functions and Responsibilities
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee all biological activities for the oncology area establishing strategies for small molecule drug discovery, preclinical translational research, IND filing through to clinical proof of mechanism and resistance studies for clinical stage assets
- Integrate cutting edge technologies into new target identification and drug discovery. Review and guide on molecular approaches and technologies to select oncology patients for molecular target focused clinical trials
- Provide timely and critical preclinical information for decision making, including pharmacology and predictive biomarker data integration
- Responsible for characterization of oncogenic target driver mutations in tumor models in order to correlate biological responses with drug resistance mutations; set up for potential companion diagnostic to select patients for clinical development
- Keep up-to-date with the latest scientific advancements including the competitive landscape, new technology and partnerships and stay informed about current trend in oncology development
- Communicate science effectively in a variety of internal and external settings, establishing strategic collaborations with KOLs
- Partner with key stakeholders across the organization to establish and implement Biochemical, Cellular and In Vivo Pharmacology strategies
- Manages ad-hoc cross-functional sub-teams to ensure team deliverables are achieved
- Move programs forward in a fast-paced environment
- Ensure high quality and detailed documentation is available
- A Ph.D. in biology, biochemistry, or a similar discipline, is required. This will ideally be followed by a post-doctoral position in a related field.
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant industrial/academic experience in oncology research
- Demonstrated expertise and understanding of all aspects of discovery and early development, including: target identification and validation, development of screening strategies, cell biology, in vitro and in vivo assay/model development
- Demonstrated success in all phases of early drug discovery and early development, with a track record of successful advancements
- Substantial experience in design and execution of early to late stage research programs
- A familiarity with medicinal chemistry approaches and experience interacting with that function
- Broad expertise with multiple biophysical, biochemical and cellular assays is essential
- A track record of evaluating and leading external academic and vendor collaborations
- Experience working with CROs is essential
Demonstrated continuous learning and curiosity to maintain own knowledge and organizational expertise in state-of-the-art technologies is required.
- Passion to play a key role in developing and executing a strategy leading to creating best-in-class drugs with the potential to transform the treatment of cancer.
- An entrepreneurial spirit who enjoys the autonomy and the wide range of responsibilities that come with this opportunity
- Ability to critically analyze and interpret data, and effectively document and communicate results and recommend next steps
- Collaborative, team-oriented mindset with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Team facilitation skills that can help with objective setting for the team and the collective achievement of the objectives
This job description is subject to change at any time.